Sunday, March 28, 2010

Annus Horribilis

Times here at Dexter Towers are somewhat fraught. I will not really supply detail, I seem to be going over it enough without doing it again and boring everyone.

Things here are going to be horrible for a few weeks yet.

Then, the dark clouds will part, light will flow through the gap and things will be good again. I have no doubt.

It is the nature of the universe. Plus, despite my obvious shortfallings, I am an eternal, though depressed, optimist.

It is interesting to note that whenever I am having a really difficult time, I seem to get better as an artist. The stress seems to bring something out of me, perhaps it is the therapeutic value of creating something, focusing on something else other than my fears, owes and concerns. Anyway, in short, not to go for too long, I have had a very good week at life class. Here's the results.
Please comment. I like feedback especially on my life drawing. It takes me ages to re look at my work and decide if it is any good.

7 comments:

sukipoet said...

i esp like your close ups of face, esp the last one. i hope life lightens up for you soon and your optimism returns full force.

Janet said...

Love 3 & 4 - capture the slightness of Dave

The fearless threader said...

Thanks for the support Suki. I'm hoping after the end of this week things will be better.

Thanks for liking them Janet. I've been trying domething new and it worked really well.

Jan Hopkins said...

I really like the quality of line in those 5 minute studies of Dave.

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

I'm a very bad judge of life drawing because I see people very incompletely in physical terms. I can rarely see expressions or the sort of small detail that makes for good life drawing. So I just don't draw people figuratively. When it comes to black and white, say a black and white photo, I can't even recognise members of my family or close friends, yet if I hear someone's voice or am told their name I can remember 1000 things about them that maybe even they have forgottern.

Blah.

Anyway, I really came here to say how much I admire your tenacity in getting through the last few months and still finding good things in life. I have also often been told that even when depressed I am remarkably optimistic - so I know that despite appearances it doesn't actually make the depression any less real and disabling. My art grinds to a halt when I'm depressed and I have to find all sorts of ways to convince my mind that what I'm doing isn't really art in order to get myself to do any! Your list of statements in your next post are also ones I can identify with. I hope the new house, though tiny, is somewhere you can feel safe.

The fearless threader said...

Thanks for the good words. Sometimes I forget that other people deal with depression everyday, and that we all have different ways of getting on with it. Sometimes I get bored with people who say "oh you are so cheerful, are you sure you are depressed" or even"you are the happiest depressed person I've ever met" That is a total misunderstanding of the difference between depression and personality. Do come for a visit, once I am up and running properly, I will have an open day for all and sundry to view the space, join in with whatever I am doing and have a nice chilled time.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.